Gunpoint covers its costs in 64 seconds



Tom Francis's financial investment stood at just $30 on the debut game,  the developer of acclaimed espionage action game "Gunpoint" covered its costs within 64 seconds of going on sale. That sum was the cost of a Game Maker license, the program in which he made his game of office break-ins, systemic tomfoolery and superhuman leaps.

But more importantly for Francis, the initial success of PC release "Gunpoint" has enabled him to devote himself full-time to his new craft.



"Gunpoint" was initially conceived as a way for him to break into game development and find work at an established studio, but a blog post on Francis' website Pentadact reveals a new perspective.

He said - "More amazingly, I can [make games] with total creative freedom. There's really no pressure for my next thing to make a particular amount of money, so I can do whatever I think will be most exciting."

"It also means I can afford to keep being nice."

Tom explains that more experienced insiders advised him to encourage punters to pay for the game before they'd had a chance to work out if they were into it.

"You want to hold it back so that excited fans buy without trying, then you can release the demo later to tempt those who weren't convinced," was his summation.



But Tom chose a different path.

"I didn't let anyone pay for Gunpoint until I was ready to put a free demo out, so everyone would have a way to make sure it ran OK on their system and that they liked it before giving me any money... I wasn't going to quit my job for a career in tricking people into giving me money and regretting it."

Most immediately, "Gunpoint" is due a level sharing system and conversion to Mac and Linux. Thanks to the game's success, he'll now be able to hire someone to make that happen.





Popular posts from this blog

Military Standard Rugged Android 4.1 Phone

Sapphire Displays by Apple

gStick: A Pen Shaped Mouse